Monday 9 November 2009

The Cheekiest Bird gets the worm!

Another post shocker...yep, but then I did make a promise that my next post would cover cheekyness so here goes.

A tip for anyone with a business or more likely starting a business.  Be Cheeky!

Now that is certainly not to be the case with your lovely customers, but certainly with anyone you even have a glimmer may be able to help your business.  By this I mean that gut feeling you get when you're in a conversation or even listening to someone speaking.  Don't be afraid, steal yourself and even if you've never done before spring into action....and ask a simple question - Can you help me?

I call this my Dr Pepper moment, after all what is the worst that can happen.  Example I hear you cry, well here goes.  In my 4th week of running Happy Sweet Shop (http://www.happysweetshop.co.uk/) I was listening to Chris Evans on BBC Radio 2 and he was auctioning places for his BBC Children in Need Dine and Disco event.  Top places and I so wanted to be able to bid, but sadly no way I could.  But a thought occured to me, wouldn't it be great to get some good coverage from BBC Radio and help Children in Need at the same time.

And so without a moments thought I dropped a quick email to the show along the lines of 'You are missing something from your event, some retro sweets for all the guests would be excellent!!..etc etc.  And sure enough within a couple of days I was in contact with Chris' brilliant PA and the event got the sweets and we got some BBC coverage.  This has lead onto other things this year and culminated in us being a partner for the BBC Children in Need 2009 appeal.  That and some fab contacts and more importantly a very good case study of what we can do.  You shouldn't underestimate the power of being able to legitimately link yourself to strong brands - but remember it has to be legit. Never make claims you can't back up.

But always go with that cheeky gut instinct when it comes to promoting yourself and your company.

No comments:

Post a Comment