Monday 9 November 2009

Much later and careers advice!

It's been a while. It won't happen again!
I guess that's what happens when you are running businesses especially in such a troubled time. I saw a programme this morning featuring a 16 year old who's career choice is to be an entreprenuer. Now let me start by saying that this is fantastic, anyone who wants to run their own business should be commended and encouraged. However, the next few minutes pained me some what. He was making this decision as a vocation weighing up whether he should go to uni or start a business (incidentally he didn't know what business he wanted, just that it could make him rich - materially rich). For me this is painful and I'll tell you a couple of reason why.

Here is a guy who has ambition and his only role models are those entrepreneurs that didn't get a choice, they had to start a business to survive. Which leads me onto the next reason, being an entrepreneur wasn't a 'career choice' as it seems to be. Now I wouldn't have had the 'inspiration' to start my business if it wasn't for the more accessible approach to entreprenuer that the recent media age has created. However, I also believe that such a 'careers advisor' type of choice is itself wrong. Certainly without the explanation of all the pitfalls of starting a business.

I think more people, especially youngsters like this chap, but anyone of any age should be encouraged to take the leap if they feel ready. And that is really my point....feel ready.

We all make our own way, we all control our own happiness and for that reason we all get that feeling at different stages. With perhaps different role models out there in media 'entrepreneur' land more young chaps like this would listen to their happiness (or heart) and take the approach to starting their business when they feel ready - not when the careers advisor needs to take notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment